Hi everybody! I just joined, please, talk to me :-)     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fit-n-Fat

Total Posts: 76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Hi everybody! I just joined, please, talk to me :-) Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is Luba. I just joined the board today. I weigh 199 pounds right now but did lose 20 pounds in the last year. Doesn't sound like much but I did it against all odds, after a surgery that left me in bed for 2 months, in pain and horribly bloated after anesthesia and with swollen liver and stomach that wasn;t digesting very well. I gained all the weight when I fell and hurt my back and then was laid off from my job so I was sitting feeling sorry for myself and finally realized after thst surgery that I was wasting my life away getting fatter each day. I used to be size 5 in my youth and very athletic and ccouldn't look at myself anymore in the mirror so I took one day at the time and started changing my life. I threw away every package of processed food I had in the house including all the fat free "artificial" food and all the sugar and white flour. I started eating a plate of fruit for breakfast and other meals ccontained always high fier foods, lots of veggies and whole grains and chicken fish or yogurt. I signed up for the gym and there started my road up the hill. It takes a lot of determination but I was so tired of feeling sick aand lifeless that I actually fell in love with all those veggies. I started with cleansing/detoxing my system by buying a juicer and making fresh veggie juices, for a week I did a juice fast floowed by water fast and after that those veggies and fruits tasted awfully good. I didn't have the desire for greasy or sweet food anymore. Now I basically just eat the way I will eat for the rest of my llife, I don't call it a diet since I eat when I feel hungry and until I am full ut they are all healthy, high fiber foods that fill me up a lot. Exercise was difficult at first but I was there regularely and really learned to like it again. I just would like to see now a little faster weight loss, maye a pound a week so in the next year I could lose 50 pounds instead of 20 so I probably have to cut out some calories from my diet which I didn't do so far, my goal was just to get healthy and now it's time to lose the weight and doing it with others would be a lot easier sso please, talk to me!. I am sure we can help each other, I have If anyone wants to write and be a buddy, my email address is johnm99@ix.netcom.com I am in Oakland California and would love to go walking or work out or cook a healthy, low calorie meal with a new friend.
I also love art, classical music and hiking and I am a very nice and honest person. Maybe we can help each other lose weight and be healthy. Oh, I speak also Russian and Polish in case there is somebody here who speaks one of them. My Russian is rusty but my Polish is very good.

Last edited by Fit-n-Fat on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

Even though my profile says I have 25-50 pounds to lose I would like to lose about 80-90 if I could so I jnoined the discussion in this section instead. I used to be 120 pounds in my 20s and would like to be that weight sometime again but just set a more reasonale goal of 50 pounds for now.
byebyehips

Total Posts: 22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I am totally with you! Nice to meet you! I remember slimmer days too and sometimes I wonder where that other me went! It can sometimes be pretty depressing, that's for sure, but I know now with my strategies I can start getting rid of the bad habits that lead to all my weight gain in the past. It's great to be amongst people who understand that it's more about behavior than the actual foods we eat. I'm so so soooooooo tired of fad diets. I would try them, lose 10-15 pounds and gain it back. What's wierd is I think I actually gained back soft fat. Yuk!

I hope to get to know you! I know we can do this. How are you likeing the personality diet?
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Thanks ! Reply with quote

Hi there too Smile

It's nice to know you too! Thank you so much for replying . That is the attitude, right on! Fad diets don't work. Like you said, they just seem to put more of the fat on and diminish the muscle tone so I don't diet anymore. I am not on personality diet yet, just trying to modify my own which is very healthy diet of whole, mostly raw foods, zero processed junk food. I am just slowly cutting out things like nuts and avocadoes which will e only an occasional treat and concentrate on fruits, veggies, shakes made with freshly squeezed juice and whey protein powder with berries or banana before workouts, lean meat, yogurt, brown rice. whole corn meal, whole wheat and a little it of dark chocolate ( good for the heart) and few nuts. That is about the extend of my diet. If it doesn't work, I will try the personality diet. I am here right now mainly for the support. I know we can do it. Most important thing is to eat healthy diet, exercise and have positive attitude. What helps me a lot is meditation, it relaxes me and puts my mind in the right mode, helps me believe in myself even in ad times.
I have been going through a lot of stress lately, my marriage has been coming apart at the seems and meditiation and lots of exercise helped me
get through it. Stress is the worst thing for the motiivation. If you need some cheering on , just send me a message and I will e there Smile
Godd to get to know you!
Luba ( means LOVE in Russian ).
Redflower

Total Posts: 29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luba,

I couldn't help but read your post and respond. I'd like to get to know you too. I'm really sorry to hear about your marriage. That kind of stress is really really hard to handle. I hope you are okay. It's great to know you are taking care of yourself while going through the turmoil.

Avacados are one of my favorite foods and I rarely eat them because of the fat. I could easily eat a whole avacado, though. What I do use them for (when I do eat them) is a spread instead of mayo or butter or other spreads. The natural fat is actually quite good for you but of course you can't have all that much of it.

My main problem areas are breads and fats. It's far too easy to just have peanut butter on toast for breakfast in the morning. I've since started having skim milk (thanks to lynneb's suggestions) and some kashi cereal or something equally high fiber and low in fat.

I agree with your views on meditation. I also meditate and use relaxation techniques. I would eventually like to do yoga. I'm so out of shape I'm not very flexible anymore. I used to be able to put my foot behind my head! I was so flexible! I've completely lost that. Now I have to start slowly and get my flexibility back.

Well, nice talking to you.
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

Hi Redfflower!
Thanks for your post. I love the name Smile I adore flowers, birds and nature Smile I just saw your post few minutes ago and will write more in the morning. Ity is really late now, I just wanted to let you know you are not being ignored. Talk to you then! It was great to meet you!
candie1

Total Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: hi and ill talk to u Reply with quote

Very Happy ..hey...im getting ready to divorce and file bankrupt all at the same time....keep the faith and know that all rainy days will dry up Smile ...so if u want to email me and instant messenger let me know...thats goes for any member that wants to talk..
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi Candie!
Sorry about the divorce! However, with your great attitude, you will bounce back in no time Smile . I am ready to make late dinner and will email in the morning. I usually don't eat so late but had some things to take carfe of.
Thanks for the support! Email me any time if you like. Have a good evening!
candie1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

i try very much to keep a good attuide and make the lemonade out of the lemons i have been handed this past year...lol....but i figure why have a new shape and new credit and be single all at the same time.. Laughing ..ill keep in touch...enjoy that dinner.
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can tell that the lemonade is going to be much sweeter than you think!
Don't let it get to you and neither will I. Keep your head high and keep squeezing those lemons Very Happy Enjoy being single for a while, hang out with the girls and have fun. I miss those times with my friends in Europe, ever since I moved to US, it hasn;t been the same, I miss that woman bonding thing. There is nothing like good friends! Have a good night!
cmt49829

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, Ill gladly talk with you. Smile
Im new here, I began low carbing two years ago. I did great, lost 54 #'s in about 8 months. then I had foot surgery, was totally off my feet for 3 months, gained some back... just began eating too much etc., and now Ive gaind back almost 40 of that 54 #'s.
for some reason I cant get myslef back into low carbing, so Ive begun the "idiot proof diet plan"
it is much like your WOE (way of eating)
I want to wish you luck and hope we can be friends.
candie1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: ill be using splenda.. Reply with quote

Very Happy ....yeah..i got the faith that my lemonade will be sweeter than i think..but since im dieting ill be using splenda Very Happy ..and ill be you do miss europe...was the weather always beautiful?...and you are so right about girlfriend bonding...we just have nack for comforting each other in good and bad and being silly. im in detroit..where are you?...okay catch u later...and have a safe new year!... Very Happy (ill do plan to have 4oz of spiked egg nogg )...that will we my naughty way to bring in the new year..lol
candie1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: hi cmt49829 Reply with quote

hey....ive been tossin between low carb and weight watchers my self...i have till january the ist to decide which one imma follow during the discovery health weight loss challenge...ive had sucess with atkins and ww..i love them both but i want to follow one diet regime and do it the whole regime....but its nice to meet you and feel free to keep in touch...and wish you much sucess at being a big "loser" in 2005 Very Happy
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Happy New Year! Reply with quote

Hi cmt49829,
Thanks for writing! It's always nice to meet new friends Very Happy . I am glad you aare back on track and it's better that you are on a balanced diet you can stick with. Low carb might work but it's not a diet you can live with for the rest of your life and it's bound to lead to weight gain once you go off it. You need your carbs for energy just make sure they are good carbs, with lots of fiber that will keep you full and satissfied. I love wild rice and buckwheat . Try to fit in regular exercise into your life, it will make feel better and those muscle will look really good on you Smile If you have any quertions or need to talk, just write! Happy New Year!
Fit-n-Fat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Happy New Year! Reply with quote

Hi Candie,
I hope it's OK to give you my 5 cents about the Atkins diet. I think it's the worst thing that ever hit the diet scene. It is very unhealthy since body doesn't get carbs so needed for energy. It produces ketones instead and those ketones are bad news for liver, kidneys and brain. Plus it's not something you stay on for the rest of your life, once you will go off this diet, most of the weight will come back since so much of it is water. It also consumes a lot of muscle so your body will be less toned once you lose the weight. It might be fast but it's not something to stick to for the rest of your life and after a while it will consume all your energy and cause bad headaches. Brain lives on glucose, it will not function on ketones. Also, all that fat that is eaten instead of the good carbbs is not good for the heart and it has lots of calories which eventually will start putting the weight back on when the initial heavy water loss is over. After all, it's all about calories in and calories out so eat your good, carbs (not processed ones) full of fiber and you will feel full and satisfied and healthy too with more energy. If you want to cut carbs, don;t go below 40% of you total calories so try to get 40% from carbs, 40% from protein and 20% from good fats (nuts, avocadoes, olive oil, grape seed oil etc). Oh, I read some bad things about Splenda. It is made from sugar by reaction with chlorine that changed sugar's chemical structure and it is bad for the brain. If you want something with no calories, use Stevia, it's a natural herb that has no side effects or use a little honey or maple sirup. They are healthy and in small quantities are not going to hurt your diet. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 50 to 100 Pounds to Lose Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com