6 Single Serve Must-Haves For The Dieter
You have probably noticed that single serving size products are hot items right now – walk down any aisle in the grocery store right now and you’ll find 100 calorie packs in just about everything!
While most of these items earn thumbs up because of their instant portion (and calorie) control, some are better than others. Many are nutritionally void, so don’t fall prey to impulse buys and “extras” to your diet just because they come in tiny packages.
However, if they help you stay on track because you would otherwise overdo it on the real sized package, then pick some up!
Below are some of my favorite portion controlled products. As you will see, the focus is on convenient and healthy since you know where to find the 100 calorie pack treats!
1. 100 Calorie Packs Emerald Snack Nuts. Even though nuts contain healthy fat and fiber – they are still high in fat, meaning higher in calories. Dipping your hand in the nut bowl too often can add quite a few calories to your day. Go nuts with portion controlled packs instead!
2. Bird’s Eye Steamfresh Singles. Now there is really no excuse to eat your veggies! Just pop one of these perfectly portioned bags in the microwave and you have a side of veggies in an instant!
3. Quaker Oatmeal Simple Harvest Instant Oatmeal. Yes, instant oatmeal is nothing new but what I like about these is that they are lower in sugar and higher in fiber than a lot of instant oatmeal. They even meet my criteria for a healthy cereal pick – less than 10 grams of sugar and more than 3 grams fiber.
4. 100 Calorie Bars (Hershey’s or Reese’s). Alright, you got me – these are not nutritious in the least bit! But, if you really need a chocolate fix, these will do the trick and in a portion controlled way! Sometimes, you just need the real thing – not modified versions of your favorites (like a lot of 100 calorie packs). Keep one in your drawer and not the whole box – like mini candy bars – you might not stop at one!
5. Pre-Cut Fresh Apple Slices. There’s something about a cold sliced crisp apple – yum! Now you can find them in single serve packs in the produce aisle. The bonus – they won’t brown like when you slice them yourself!
6. Sabra Hummus Cup with Pretzel Crisps. Hummus to go – genius! Carry some baby carrots along too and you have a healthy mini meal to go! This is a great pick when you are hungry but want something small from the grocery store.
Shauna Schultz, RD, has the nutrition solutions for all your weight loss questions.
October 1, 2008
Healthy Weight Loss Solutions For Women
The most simple and effective weight loss solution that I've found for women is... eat like a kid again!
If you’re a mom, you more than likely provide your children with healthy meal options and make sure they eat regularly, right? Well, how about you get back to the basics and do the same for yourself?
Besides setting a good example for your children, you’ll eat balanced, portion controlled and healthy meals yourself, leading to better weight management.
Don’t worry, even if you’re not a mom, you can still use the tips below and get back to the simpler things in life!
Try a tip or two a week and you’ll be on your way to being a kid again – who said we can’t go back in time?!
Tricks of the Trade:
• Balance it.
Balanced meals that consist of healthy carbs, protein and a little fat will keep you satisfied longer and provide you with the nutrients your body needs. At every meal, include a whole grain, lean protein, healthy fat and something colorful (aka – fruit or veggie!).
You probably don’t give your kids free access to the cookie jar, right? Apply the same rules to yourself – allow yourself one small treat a day and enjoy.
• Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full.
This may be easier said than done, but this is something that you once mastered yourself. Get into the habit of slowing down and rating your hunger on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being starving and 5 being stuffed). Try to not let yourself get to a 1 or 5. This takes practice, but you’ll get the hang of it with practice – it’s time to back to intuitive eating!
• Sit down already!
Get away from the computer, desk or TV and sit down at the table and enjoy your meal. Families who eat together at the table eat healthier. An added bonus, you’ll slow down and master that intuitive eating we just talked about.
• Portion it.
A lot of kids I know freak out when their food touches (and some adults too!). This may seem silly, but you can use this to your advantage. Try packing your lunch in little containers or compartments – you can actually find them online by laptop lunches. These little wonders will work wonders for weight management by providing you with variety and portion controlled meals.
Give a try with the following examples.
Eating “Container Style”
Start with 4 or 5 little containers and fill them with different healthy foods. Include at least one whole grain, one protein, one fruit, one veggie and one “treat.” Here are a few examples:
• Compartment 1: Turkey sandwich on whole wheat with avocado, lettuce and tomato
• Compartment 2: Orange
• Compartment 3/4: Baby carrots with low-fat ranch dressing
• Compartment 5: 1 ounce dark chocolate
• Compartment 1: hummus
• Compartment 2: whole wheat pita bread slices
• Compartment 3: red bell pepper and cucumber slices
• Compartment 4: grapes
• Compartment 5: small oatmeal cookie
Cheese and Crackers:
• Compartment 1: low-fat cheese stick
• Compartment 2: whole wheat crackers and 2-3 ounces lean deli meal
• Compartment 3: cherry tomatoes and broccoli florets
• Compartment 4: light yogurt
• Compartment 5: trail mix with dried fruit and chocolate
Now it’s a family affair!
Shauna Schultz, RD, has the nutrition solutions for all your weight loss questions.
September 22, 2008
5 Biggest Mistakes Dieters Make
We've all tried to lose weight. Most of us have failed. And that's why we are here today -- to find a way to take off weight and keep it off.
Diet.com has what you need to achieve all your goals. We know the mistakes dieters make. And we know how to help you avoid them.
5 Common Mistakes
1. Lack of support! There are oodles of studies that show dieters who go it alone are more likely to fall sooner... and to fail at lasting weight loss. There is strength in numbers.
2. Lack of a plan or goals! It's one thing to say, "I'm gonna lose weight!" It's another to say "I'm gonna lose weight by walking before breakfast, eating 1,200 calories and drinking eight glasses of water a day!" That's a starting plan. You also need a goal so you can see progress and celebrate milestones along the way.
3. Lack of fitness! A weight loss plan without a fitness component is like a... well, it's like a day without sunshine. It's a bright idea that's clouded by no way to burn extra calories. Dieters who also work out burn more calories. It's as simple as that.
4. Lack of time! If you have time to eat, you have time to diet. We come up with some of the worst excuses for a lack of time to diet. American Idol... Dancing with the Stars... and other must-see TV shows gobble up the time you could be using to work out.
5. Boredom! A weight loss plan needs to keep you interested and involved. Variety is the spice of a healthy life! Get bored with your diet or workout and you're more likely to give up... and plop back on the couch to watch TV!
So now that we know why so many of us fail, how do we fix the problem and drop a few pounds? Start with our 5 Solutions to the Top 5 Mistakes.
5 Super Solutions
1. A vibrant Diet.com community! Once you start blogging or responding to other members' blogs, you're hooked! And this is one addiction you don't want to lose anytime soon. Click here for a peek at what's in store.
2. Our Premium Membership lays the foundation for your personal weight loss plan! We can help you attain your goals. Our experts -- and your Diet.com peers -- will help you start with a plan that's proven to work. Click here and get started losing weight today!
3. A new and improved Diet.com fitness section! We realize the value of exercise; we also know that too many people aren't sure how to work out properly. Our fitness section -- and our caring and knowledgeable fitness experts -- explain the moves that'll make you slim down and tone up faster. Click here for a look.
4. An online diet program is ready when you are -- no more "no time" excuses! We’re here 24/7, so do what a million other savvy dieters have done -- link up with the Diet.com website on a daily (or nightly) basis. Just think: no driving to weight loss centers and no buying special foods or pills. It's a great plan for the time-challenged individual. It's a great plan for you!
5. Videos, blogs and special challenges keep weight loss fresh and fun! Diet.com is not your mother's weight loss plan. We've taken technology and mixed it with a diet plan that's formulated for you! You get your own profile page and your ability to post blogs and images as you want. And with featured writers like The Daily Comic, Diet Diva and Mr. Bad Food, you never know what crazy, informative features you'll find here!
OK, so stop making the same old mistakes and start losing weight... weight that you'll take off and keep off without surgery or pills. Click here and start now.
September 10, 2008